Thursday, April 12, 2012

Near, far, wherever you are…


For the last three weeks I have been interning with an organization named Setu, which aims to create synergy between the community structures of Pune. Its objective is to encourage networking that will empower members and increase the people’s participation in government.

Yesterday we went out for a field visit to a small village beneath the bridge. The original village of 3,000 people has been divided and dissolved because of the effects of urbanization and river pollution. After meeting the Sangamwadi villagers and speaking with their leader, we embarked upon a small boat that took us down the adjacent Mula River. Looking around at the blatant pollution of the Mula, I asked our guide about the health effects of the river. Sitting on the back of the boat manning the engine, he lifted his khaki pant leg to reveal a dark patch of skin that covered the front of his lower leg. The parents, he said, have trouble sleeping at night because of the irritation caused by the skin rashes that result from contact with the river.
Mula River


Charming children

Speaking with the village leader





Sewage plant along the river

It's not supposed to be that color...

Waste in the river


The interaction on the field was inspiring and I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to speak with the villagers. Apparently, though, I still have a lot of 21 year old in me: I’m on a boat was running through my mind for an inappropriate length of time. Thanks, Beth.

Later that night, much later, my friends and I went to see the Titanic in 3D at E-Square. We had bought the tickets online for the 6:30pm showing. Proshanti had to buy her ticket there, so we waited in “line” at the counter. The half-moon of people crowded around the ticket counter, elbowing and pushing their money under the plastic safeguard, was probably all a part of the show; isn’t that what it was like on the Titanic? We tried communicating what we wanted for a while, and somehow ended up with a ticket and two yellow stubs redeemable for the 3D glasses, which are apparently optional. Does anyone actually forego the3D to save the 30 rupee charge? So many questions. Oh yeah, the movie time, screen, and seats have changed. See you at 7! It’s a fast paced world out there, because by the time I got through security the movie time was set for 7:30.



Jack and the blue diamond still fell into the ocean in the end. I was holding out hope there for a while. I’m still not quite sure what happened in the middle, though, because Kate’s scandal was censored. It has been 15 years (15 years!) since the Titanic has come out. The last time I saw this movie, it was on a two-tape special edition VHS that I had gotten for Christmas. And it seems, to me, that Jack and Rose are no longer the most important part of the story. Somewhere between Florida and India, I think I grew up a little. It was reminiscent of realizing that Holden Caulfield isn’t really a hero.

After finishing the Sea of Poppies, I’m going to start on the three Titanic books that I downloaded on my Kindle just now. I’m always game for a new obsession.

P.S.
I have a surprise for all of you readers at the end of my trip (in three short weeks), so keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment